About restricting firmware update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About restricting firmware update

Currently, we use equipment with firmware version "5.0.0 - 66".
    We confirmed that updating to "5.1.0-17" in firmware update affects setting information.
    Therefore, I would like to limit the firmware of the main unit so that it can not be updated by using the blocking function of the proxy server.
    Is it possible to provide information such as URL to communicate with firmware update?
    Even if this communication is blocked, it is conditional that there is no influence on the registration work of the printer.
    ※ Translated from Japanese to English by Google translation.

I donI do not know how to block any firmware upgrade attempt, but:
    1. You do not lose the configuration when upgrading to a new firmware version
    2. You can save you configuration prior to upgrading.
    3. You can change the default password so un-authorised users cannot access the web-manager.
    4. Only a factory default reset will clear the configuration.

Hopefully this helps.
    Last edited by eu_techsupp; 05-30-2018, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Thank you for contacting us.
      I am sorry I can not explain enough.
      When "Name" is set as "Japanese (double byte character)" in the device of "5.0.0 - 66" and updating to "5.1.0 - 17" in this state, the printer option It has been confirmed that you can not change the setting or delete the printer, so you want to prevent this.
      In the case mentioned above, we confirm that it can only deal with initialization, but the impact of work due to resetting is large, so I have a desire to avoid as much as possible.
      Even with the version "5.0.0 - 66", it is confirmed that the same problem will occur when Name is set as double-byte character.
      We believe that no problems occurred if double-byte characters were controlled so that it can not be used beforehand.
      Regarding access restrictions on the management screen, even if authorized users can update it, this can not be prevented.

Comment

What do you mean double byte character? Do you mean 2 characters, like H3?

Comment

In 5.0.0 - 66 equipment, Name is set with 2 bytes = Japanese characters as follows.

印刷設定1
          印刷設定2
          印刷設定3

Updating the firmware in this state and updating to 5.1.0-17 will affect the change or deletion of printer settings.
          There is no effect if set as follows.

Printer1
          Printer2
          Printer3

Comment

I understand now. Unfortunately, based on what you are showing me the xPrintServer does not support 2 byte characters and may not play nice with other languages. Lantronix is currently not doing any development on the xPrintServer.

Comment

I am aware that using double-byte characters is not suitable, and that no revision of the firmware is planned in the future.
              However, it is true that there are about 500 devices already using double-byte characters, so I'd like to take a countermeasure with "restricting update communication" that I asked you in the beginning.
              Would you be able to disclose the URL to communicate at the time of updating?
              If it means that you can not disclose on policy, please reply so.

Comment

How about this case?
                Please answer.

Comment

We are informed that the person in charge will be returned to June 21, but how is progress made?

Comment

Unfortunately, you cannot restrict the URL on the firmware. Primarily as this is handled by a service which redirects based on region in the world.

Comment

Working...
                    X