Setting up New xPrintServer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up New xPrintServer

We have an older model XPrintServer that we are using for our iPADS. We had too many devices on that xPrintServer - so we purchased two new ones. I have two issues when setting these up:

1. When I add the IP addresses for our printers and run the discovery - it shows it finds 9 printers - but when I go into the list - it only finds 2 printer.

2. If I rename that printer (Put -NEW at the end of the name) - and go to an iPAD, it does not see those new printer as an option to print to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cathy

Unfortunately, the xPrintServer model change over time. I suspect you have a unit that is running 3.3.0.4 vs the new 5.1.0-17 version (Which is xPrintServer office version 2.)

This link talks about the differences. https://forums.lantronix.com/forum/x...stions-aa/6382

Your printers that were supported are most likely running PCL for a print language. When Lantronix shifted to Apple certification, the XPS went to supporting only PostScript print language. Unfortunately, we cannot roll back firmware on the newer unit to make it run the older code.

Check if your printers support PostScript as a print language, if so you may need to manually add the printer but use a driver of similar make and model number. (Again only if the printer supports Post Script print language.)

Comment

I can manually add the printers on the xPrintServer - however the iPADS still are not seeing the new printers I setup.

Comment

Also, when I manually add the printer and try to print a test page, nothing prints

Comment

What are the printer models?

Comment

Kyocera CS 3500i
            Kyocera EP C170N (14 of these)
            Kyocera FS 1118MFF
            Kyocera FS-3700
            Lexmark C544
            Kyocera FS-2000D

Comment

What firmware version are you running on the xPrintServer is it 5.1.0-17?

Also when adding the printers are you using for the URi socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your IP on the printer(s).)
              Are the new xPrintServer's on a different network/ subnet range.

Comment

Firmware is 5.1.0-17. I did put the socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (using the IP address of the printer). The printers are on vlan17, xprintserver is on vlan 50

Comment

Is there something I need to do because the printers are on a different vlan? The reason the xPrintServer is on vlan50 - is because that is where our wireless devices are.

Comment

For printers in a different network or VLan you should make sure that Multicast traffic is open and not filtered or blocked. This is what Bonjour uses and the xPrintServer to present the printers to the iOS devices. Multicast is on port UDP port 5353. It might also be that the network has opened it for the older XPS units but not for the newer XPS's.

Comment

I checked with our Network Analyst, and we do not have Multicast on - for the previous Lantronix, nor these two new ones. He does not want to turn it on. Port 5353 is not blocked. Is there any way to get these two new devices to work?

Comment

Are the older units running in a different network then the new units? Multicast is required for the iDevices (iPad or iPhone) to see printers so if the older ones advertising printers are being seen then Multicast is opened as that is the only way to get printers advertised. Is there a way to put the new units in the same local network as the others to see if they show printers. (You can name a printer differently on the XPS to see it advertised differently....something like PRINTER_FOUND_HERE.)

Comment

We are trying to move the printers from the old xprintserver to the new xprintserver. We're not adding more printers - they are already existing.

Comment

As you are able to print with the older xPrintServer to all of the printer I assume that their is a routing path between the different VLANs.
                            I also checked if the printers in the list are mentioned into our supported printer list and all are supported.
                            Can you check if all of these printers have Post-Script installed and enabled? (For some printers you need to buy the PS-option seperately).
                            Can you access the Internet from the VLAN where the printers are installed?

If you can answer with this with a yes, than hook-up the printserver in VLAN17 and have all printers installed.
                            Run a test print from the xprintServer to see if all installed drivers work fine.
                            If this is the case than you can hook-up the xPrintServer on VLAN17 again and you should be able to print.

Comment

Working...
                            X