Will an Xport AR work for us?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wilyum
    started a topic Will an Xport AR work for us?

Will an Xport AR work for us?

Hello,
    In the past we have used a PC/104 SBC to talk with our embedded device and communicate with a PC-based host application. I am looking into cost reducing this product. Are there any limitations on using socket programming? For example, can I use bind(), listen(), accept(), etc.? We use a proprietary binary protocol for configurations, sending data back and forth, etc. Would there be any problems implementing this? I would like to use a serial channel to gather and buffer lots of data in SRAM? Do you effectively double the throughput if you use both serial channels? The AR has 1.25 MB of SRAM. Is all of this available for an application or is some used by the operating system? Which is more productive, Paradigm C++ or Linux? How much of the 4 MB of flash is available? Can flash be used for mass storage?
    Thanks, Bill

• mattmc
    replied
    Hi Bill,

Originally posted by wilyum View Post
    Are there any limitations on using socket programming? For example, can I use bind(), listen(), accept(), etc.? We use a proprietary binary protocol for configurations, sending data back and forth, etc. Would there be any problems implementing this?
    I think we are pretty complete on our socket implementation and support for APIs for the serial driver. What you are describing sounds like a typical SDK customization project. I'd recommend downloading the SDK and looking at the documentation, samples, header files, etc. - that should give you an idea of what is available.

I would like to use a serial channel to gather and buffer lots of data in SRAM? Do you effectively double the throughput if you use both serial channels? The AR has 1.25 MB of SRAM. Is all of this available for an application or is some used by the operating system?
    The XPort AR uses a good portion of the RAM for it's core functionality, so no, all the RAM is not available. Lots of buffer space might be a problem on the XPort AR. The MatchPort AR and XPort Pro have more horse power and RAM.

Which is more productive, Paradigm C++ or Linux? How much of the 4 MB of flash is available? Can flash be used for mass storage?
    Thanks, Bill
    The XPort AR is only programmable using the Evolution SDK, there is no support for Linux on this device. You will want to look into the XPort Pro if Linux is important. It has SDK support for both Linux and Evolution (I think there is also a MatchPort AR Linux SDK release too). Also it's UART can handle 921K baud and has more RAM. You'll need to check on the Linux section of the forum -the Linux code base is handled by a separate team.

Yes Flash can be used as mass storage, but be aware that it is not removable, is slow, and has a finite number of erase/write cycles. Using it for buffering of often changing data is not recommended.

One more thing. We only support C programming in the Evo SDK. This is mostly for memory management. For instance we have not mapped new to or memory management.

I hope this helps.
    mattmc

Leave a comment:

Working...
X