Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syslog Messages

Hi
    Any chance of geting a list of current syslog messages & there meaning?
    i.e.
    'el\mtinit.c: ack Overrun by task 28 (SerialPort0ReadThread)'

is this stack Overrun? (overflow)
    Many Thanks
    Carl

Stack Overrun

Yes, it is definitely the stack overrun message. These messages are limited in length and the front gets truncated if necessary.

No, we do not have a definitive list. There are many thousands. Most are obscure and should never be seen; as part of our coding practice, rather than assume anything we prefer to test the condition and if it does not match what the designer expected, a log message is placed there as a way to get attention to it.

The stack overrun is not detected immediately when the overrun occurs. Rather, when a task switch occurs, the operating system looks at the bottom of the allocated stack space to see if its marker has been clobbered.

Generally when I see this, I first set my task stack size much larger than I ever expect it needs to be, then I run test cases through my code and afterward examine the stack usage for that task. Based on that I can reduce my stack size. Typically I set it to just over twice what I have measured worst case. Encryption operations use lots of stack, so it is important to include encryption in your test cases if applicable to get a reasonable estimate.

Comment

Thanks snook

Comment

Working...
      X