Best Practices for Configuration Managment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Practices for Configuration Managment

I'm starting a new project using the XPortPro with the LINX SDK (version 2.0.0.3) and I'm looking for some recommendations on best practices for working with this SDK and integrating it with our Code Management (CM) system (Subversion & git), etc.

Specifically I'm interested in knowing?

1. What is the minimum set of configuration files for the SDK that I should maintain in our CM? I don't want to check in the entire SDK or any generated files.

2. I expect that I'll have a couple of commonly used configuration sets (e.g. one for development, one release, etc) What is the best way to manage these?

3. What is the best way to add or overlay our code onto the SDK? My current plan is to have one copy of the SDK that is essentially read only and use AUFS to overlay writable branches of our code over the SDK. That way I only need 1 copy of the SDK that can be shared by potentially multiple repos of our code and it will be easier to keep track of the stuff that needs to be CM'd.

4. I intend to have a build server for automated builds of our products that build from scratch, is the SDK make system capable of building from scratch without user interaction?

Any other recommendations or gotcha's that I should be aware of?

Thanks,
    Matt S.

Really no one has had to deal with managing the SDK in there own software CM system?

Comment

Working...
    X