Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No communication over ColdFire MultiLink

Hi,

I am using Lantronix MatchPort b/g Pro module with Sourcery G++ IDE ver: 4.2-59. My Lantronix module is working fine. I have succesfully uploaded firmware over serial line. I think my 'ColdFile MultiLink' is working fine as well. I installed provided drivers for it from Lantronix CD. All status LEDs are on. After creating a project, configuring debugger and pressing debug button I get 'Error creating session' message with following info in the console window:

set remotetimeout 50
    m68k-elf-sprite: error: Lost connection to hardware device
    m68k-elf-sprite: error: Internal error: multiple response packets
    Remote communication error: No error.
    Remote communication error: No error.[/COLOR]
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    I can enable Sourcery G++ to output a little more info on these error. In which case I get the following:

82-gdb-set confirm off
    82^done
    (gdb)
    83-gdb-set width 0
    83^done
    (gdb)
    84-gdb-set height 0
    84^done
    (gdb)
    85-interpreter-exec console echo
    85^done
    (gdb)
    86-gdb-show prompt
    86^done,value="(gdb) "
    (gdb)
    87-gdb-set auto-solib-add on
    87^done
    (gdb)
    88-gdb-set stop-on-solib-events 0
    88^done
    (gdb)
    89-gdb-set stop-on-solib-events 1
    89^done
    (gdb)
    90 set remotetimeout 50
    &"set remotetimeout 50\n"
    90^done
    (gdb)
    91-target-select remote | m68k-elf-sprite -q 'pe://USBMultilink/PE6020337' "C:\\Program Files\\Lantronix\\Lantronix Evolution SDK V1.2.0.0R6\\samples\\matchport_bg_pro\\matchport_b g_pro.xml"

set remotetimeout 50
    91^connected,thread-id="0",frame={addr="0x00000000",func="??",args=[]}
    (gdb)
    92-target-download

m68k-elf-sprite: error: Lost connection to hardware device
    &"m68k-elf-sprite: error: Lost connection to hardware device\n"
    &"m68k-elf-sprite: error: Internal error: multiple response packets\n"

m68k-elf-sprite: error: Internal error: multiple response packets

&"Remote communication error: No error.\n"
    92^error,msg="Remote communication error: No error."
    (gdb)
    93-gdb-exit

93^exit
    &"Remote communication error: No error.\n"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

On a separate note. At the very beginning of me creating a new project I got a following warning 'Error launching external scanner info generator (gcc -E -P -v -dD C:/Documents and Settings/vbluvshtein/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.cdt.make.core/specs.c)'

Any thoughts on that?

Thank you,

OK. I finally heard back from CodeSorcery, and they told me that errors that I see might have something to do with drivers for MultiLink Programmer. They recommended upgrading to newer Sorcery G++ 4.3-164. I was hesitate since Lantronix website specifically says to use ver 4.2-59, but no one is really suggesting anything else.

Anyway I installed newer version and it's working!!! The problem is, now I have version of Sorcery G++ that works with my debugger, but at the same time is not recommended (and maybe even should not work with SDK) by Lantronix.

Any suggestions?

Comment

My profuse apologies for taking so long to respond.

First, we are unable to use the latest version of CodeSourcery because of an incompatility between the latest version of GCC and the Green Hills compiled Evolution code that gets linked in. We will eventually have a fix for this, using an all GCC build of Evolution, but this work has not yet been scheduled.

So, it is important that we get the version of CodeSourcery working that is specified in the forum. To that end, I have a question:

Were you able to follow each of the steps detailed in the "Evolution SDK Users Guide"? This document is included in the SDK install. I have included a copy as an attachment in this post.

With regard to your other question, the "scanning info generator problem", this is a problem related to the indexer which supports symbolic searching and refactoring (a feature built-in to Eclipse). It is basically saying that the file C:/Documents and Settings/vbluvshtein/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.cdt.make.core/specs.c cannot be found and indexed. It is not related to your debugging P&E connection problem.

Let me know if you can get through the steps in the User's Guide (referenced above), particularly as it pertains to debugging one of the included samples in the SDK.
      Attached Files

Comment

First of all, since I've been banging my head against this problem since Monday I have had plenty of time to read, reread and follow every step of User Guide manual.

Second, I have to say that most of your documentation is very detailed and well written, so I had no problem following it.

The problem, at least the way it looks like right now, were P&E drivers included on Lantronix CD. As I mentioned before, my P&E debugger did not work until I installed later version of CodeSourcery. That version I downloaded from CodeSourcry Web. During installation I was asked if I want to install P&E drivers, where that option did not come up during older version install (I know that I was suppose to do that manually, which I did, but it still did not work!)

Problem is, with new version I also started to get exceptions, since Lantronix SDK is not meant to work with Sourcery G++ ver 4.3-164. At that point I reinstalled older version of Sourcery G++ and alas most of it was working.

There are still two problems left: error 'launching external scanner', and problem stepping through the code.

Error 'launching external scanner', ended up being a bug in ver 4.2-59, at least according to CodeSourcery support. Apperantly under Project -> Properties -> C/C++ Make Project -> Discovery Options tab: scanner exe was set to 'gcc' instead of 'm68k-elf-gcc'. I did not see that setting change in the User Guide.

After I fixed that problem. I finally saw include files in the project tree. What I do not see in the project tree are source files, i.e. all of the .c files. As a matter of fact my debbuger complains about that as well. Whenever I press 'step into' or 'step over' it complains that it can't find source file. The odd thing is, if I place a whole bunch of break points, debugger can run between them. But if I press 'step over' from any of those break points it complains. I thought, make file suppose to take care of importing files, but I guess something is off.

I know this is a bit long winded post, but I thought someone should take note of these problems.

Bottom line is that I still need help getting source files into my project, so my debugger can happily step through the code.

thanks,

vlad

Comment

First of all, thanks for the information about the "launching external scanner" bug and I am glad you were able to make progress.

With regard to being able to step into your source code, try adding the path name manually using the "C/C++ Project Paths" dialog under "Project Properties" (see picture enclosed).

Also (this may be obvious, but just in case) when you establish a new "C Project" it will ask you for the location of your project. This location should correspond to the root directory of all project source files. Eclipse will not let you see other source files in the Project Explorer, except those which occur beneath this directory. It is possible to establish file and folder links to other locations outside the root using the New | File and New | Folder option and the Advanced>> button.
          Attached Files

Comment

I wanted to do that manually. Here is whats preventing me.

First, I am using a standard make project. With this type of project, my impression was that you can't just add and remove stuff from the project without editing the make file. If that is the case I don't know how to do that yet.

Second, I tried to look for Lantronix source files, but couldn't find anything on my drive except for included sample .c files.

Let me be more specific.

During debug upload, I see a momentary msg about lack of source for start.c. Where do I find that file?

During debugging. I set my break point at snprintf(). When I try to 'step over' from that line I get a window with a msg source not found (snprintf() at sprint.c). Where do I find that file?

When I try to 'step over' from SerialWrite(), I get a msg source not found (SerialWrite() at serial_common.c). Where do I get that file?

thanks for you help.

Comment

Originally posted by vbrj View Post
              I wanted to do that manually. Here is whats preventing me.

First, I am using a standard make project. With this type of project, my impression was that you can't just add and remove stuff from the project without editing the make file. If that is the case I don't know how to do that yet.
              You are correct regarding the make file, but these settings would affect the operation of the debugger, not the build process controlled by the make file.

Originally posted by vbrj View Post
              Second, I tried to look for Lantronix source files, but couldn't find anything on my drive except for included sample .c files.
              The Evolution SDK only includes source code for the sample programs. Source code for the Evolution OS is not included.

Comment

Hello, I'm running into the same problem trying to debug the sample helloworld.c.

I had no problems using the previous version (1.2.0.0R1) of the SDK. Since I've started to use the 1.2.0.1R1 SDK I'm not able to debug the source code normally.

As a workaround, I can set a breakpoint after snprintf, press resume, and once past snprintf, I remove the breakpoint and continue debugging normally.

Support requests to CodeSourcery didn't solve the problem.

I've attached some screen shots with explanations of my steps while debugging. May someone had a similar problem with SDK 1.2.0.1R1 and can help me with this issue.
                Attached Files

Comment

I'm seeing it too. Let me look into this.

Comment

Working...
                  X