Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using "gethostbyname()"

Dear all:

Maybe this is a simple question but I'm having lot of problems when trying to use gethostbyname() to find a remote server.

The function seems to work correctly but I don't know how to use the returning value "char∗∗ hostent::h_addr_list"

1. How do I know the ammount of addresses that the function has returned in the h_addr_list? (sizeof(h_addr_list) does not work in this case)

2. How do I use the stored address in the connect() function? Connect() expects a sockaddr struct but I'm just getting a long uint where h_addr_list points to.

3. Does anyone have an example?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I forgot a remark. I'm using Xport PRO
    Last edited by dreuu; 09-18-2010, 11:34 AM. Reason: I did not specify the device I'm using
    XPort Pro newbie

gethostbyname returns lists

There are two lists returned: h_aliases and h_addr_list. Each is an array of pointers. Each array ends with a NULL (0) pointer.

Comment

using connect()

See the SDK sample code aestunnelclient.c in the configureClient routine for an example of usage of connect(). Notice that a cast must be used. I don't like it, but that's the tradition.

Comment

Done but...

Well, It seems that I've made it work but I'm not really sure this is the best way to code it:

Code:
        struct hostent servidor; //Hostent Definition. Global
        char bufferHost[128]; //Buffer for the function. Global
        //Inside my main thread:
        if(gethostbyname (hostname, &servidor, bufferHost, sizeof(bufferHost)) == 0 ){

TLOG(TLOG_SEVERITY_ERR, "Error...");

} else{

memset(&servername, 0, sizeof(servername));
        		servername.sin_family = AF_INET;
        		servername.sin_port = htons (PORT);

//I've used snprintf to translate the given address. "sms" is a buffer.

snprintf(sms,sizeof(sms),"%hu.%hu.%hu.%hu",  
                        (uint8_t)*servidor.h_addr_list[0],(uint8_t)*
                        (servidor.h_addr_list[0]+1),
        		(uint8_t)*(servidor.h_addr_list[0]+2),(uint8_t)*
                        (servidor.h_addr_list[0]+3) );

servername.sin_addr.s_addr = 
                        NetDottedTo32BitNetworkByteOrder(sms);  // IP 
        }
        It works but I'm still having problems when trying to read the size of "h_aliases" and "h_addr_list". SizeOf and Strlen complain with warnings when compiling.

I would like to make a better usage of the function allowing multiple addresses to be check and aliases. Also, I'm sure there's a better way to read the address instead of snprintf.
        XPort Pro newbie

Comment

Mind, that ".h_aliases" and ".h_addr_list" are lists of pointers. The ".aliases" is char**-type; so ".h_aliases[0]" is a pointer to a NULL-terminated textual description somewhere else in the memory. This works for other elements, too. But mind that this list of pointers is terminated by a NULL pointer. Sizeof() and strlen() won't work; I think you have to look at every Pointer one by one.

The same rules apply for the ".h_addr_list" with some difference. The target of the pointers are binary coded address-data (and probably without NULL termination).

Maybe this helps:
          http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

Comment

Working...
          X