Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to flash firmware on to SDK module?

Hi,

I can run my firmware file (mathPort_ar.romz) just fine through the BDM debugger. However when I attempt to flash using the DeviceInstaller/Serial port method I run into problems.

First I remove the BDM debugger as mentioned in the manual.

If I select Matchport b/g as a target and reboot the device at the appropriate prompt, nothing happens. It does not seem to find it.

If I select matchport a/r as a target and try to reboot. I get a message about 'recovloader.rom' being downloaded and see the COM1 RX light go solid as it uploads. Then I get a mention about waiting for command prompt and this never seems to go away. It never tries to upload the firmware I selected.

I also tried running the image in the debugger and using the ftp firmware upload, which seemed to work okay, until I rebooted the module and then nothing came up.

Is there a way to test a firmware image on the sdk included Matchport module, without running the debugger?

Thanks
    Chris

I have a number of suggestions, all of which will give us more information on what may be happening.

Originally posted by Chris123 View Post
    Hi,

I can run my firmware file (mathPort_ar.romz) just fine through the BDM debugger. However when I attempt to flash using the DeviceInstaller/Serial port method I run into problems.

First I remove the BDM debugger as mentioned in the manual.

If I select Matchport b/g as a target and reboot the device at the appropriate prompt, nothing happens. It does not seem to find it.
    Be sure that you are using the latest version of the DeviceInstaller available here.

Also, make sure that you are selecting a "Device Model" of "MatchPort b/g Pro" not "MatchPort b/g" (see below). These are different devices with different recovery procedures, which might explain your results.

I also tried running the image in the debugger and using the ftp firmware upload, which seemed to work okay, until I rebooted the module and then nothing came up.
    Before you initiate the upload process, open a serial terminal window, and from the ">" command prompt type the following commands:
    enable
    device
    auto show tlog

Then initiate your FTP firmware upgrade and observe the output from the serial terminal. If the upgrade process begins and there is an error, you will see relevant messages. Also, after the upload is complete check to see if you can find the file in the file system, which would imply that it is being processed as a file and not a firmware upgrade. The file name that you upload via FTP must be "matchport_bg_pro.romz" and should be uploaded to the root directory.

Is there a way to test a firmware image on the sdk included Matchport module, without running the debugger?
    You can also upload your firmware image via the Web Manager. After you have restarted and uploaded the firmware with the BDM debugger, browse to the Web Manager and select the System page and use the Upload New Firmware option (displayed below).

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks James, with the new version of Device installer it now works as expected. Looks like that whole section was re-written. I was previously running 4.1.0.16

I had tried the b/g pro target with the previous version and had the same result as b/g.

Working fine now so far as I can tell.

Chris

Comment

Cool!

Thanks for the update.

Comment

Working...
        X